The Columbus School News Portal

The Discoverer

Navigate Left
  • Addressing Teen Stress: Coping Mechanisms and Support Systems Among High School Students

    High School

    Addressing Teen Stress: Coping Mechanisms and Support Systems Among High School Students

  • Exploring Future Senior Careers

    High School

    Exploring Future Senior Careers

  • Exploring Career Aspirations: Insights into High School Students Future Plans and Goals

    High School

    Exploring Career Aspirations: Insights into High School Students’ Future Plans and Goals

  • Charting the Future: High School Students and Their Career Aspirations

    High School

    Charting the Future: High School Students and Their Career Aspirations

  • Barroco Restaurant Review

    Lifestyle

    Barroco Restaurant Review

  • Photo Essays

    Poverty in Medellin

  • Does TCS properly prepare students?

    High School

    Does TCS properly prepare students?

  • School Robotics Team Returns from Regional

    High School

    School Robotics Team Returns from Regional

  • CISA International Tournament at The Columbus School on April 17 – April 20.

    High School

    CISA Tournament: A Learning Experience

  • EL Cielo hotel Luxury Medellin

    Lifestyle

    Cultural Cuisine in Medellín

Navigate Right
The Columbus School News Portal

The Discoverer

The Columbus School News Portal

The Discoverer

Exploring Future Senior Careers

Exploring+Future+Senior+Careers

Most high school students feel either stressed or lost when it comes to their future careers. This is a topic that haunts students through all highschool and especially in the last years. Help provided from college counselors, teachers and parents is said to encourage students when making decisions. 

A survey was made at TCS in may 2024, that assures that half of the future to be seniors are already prepared for what is coming after school. 40% of respondents are planning to attend four-year college directly, on the other hand 60% are considering alternative paths, including taking a gap semester/year, working, or going to community college.

“I want to study Communications and Comparative Literature, and in 10 years I want to be a successful writer living in New York city,” Isabel Acosta, The Discoverer editor-in-chief, said. 

One of the biggest dilemmas for future TCS seniors is where they will choose to study. The survey demonstrates a range of aspirations, with some students wanting to work abroad or establishing their own businesses. The international ambition is balanced by a desire to stay connected to their families and friends. Many students also envision themselves working in Medellín or pursuing creative careers locally. The decision of where to study becomes intertwined with these future goals.

“There are so many possibilities, it’s overwhelming,” says Luna Cuartas, 11th grader. “I want to keep my options open for now.”

The survey reveals a proactive approach in navigating these uncertainties. A surprising 80% of students have already sought advice from college counselors, showcasing their desire for guidance. Additionally, a significant 60% have a secondary plan in case their initial career choice doesn’t work out.

“I know that I want to study in the university of Bocconi in Milan, I have very clear what I will be studying and what I need to achieve this goal, either way it’s important to have a backup plan,” says Giulia Montorsi, 11th grader. 

Understanding that the path to success can be unpredictable, having alternative options allows students to adapt to new circumstances that may happen anytime. It is important to pursue dreams with determination while also building in flexibility for a well-rounded future. Students have the opportunity to begin taking AP exams required for certain universities since 10th grade. At TCS students are also given the possibility to take multiple psat’s and SAT’s. 

“In 10 years I see myself living in a really cool house with a ton of money, nice cars traveling around the world and a lot of knowledge and a beautiful girlfriend,” Agustin Ramirez, 11th grader, said.  

Based on the survey, the biggest factor that affected career choices was the potential salary. Financial security is with no doubt the biggest concern for many teenagers. The emphasis on guidance from college counselors and a significant portion of students having a secondary plan point towards a desire for a career that is both fulfilling and financially sustainable. It’s possible that potential salary factors alongside other considerations like passion, work-life balance, and job security can create a well-rounded vision for their future.